What are Keto Fat Bombs, PLUS How to Make Them in 10 Minutes or Less! (With 5 Simple Recipes)
WHAT IS A KETO FAT BOMB?
It goes against everything our mothers taught us to eat something called a fat bomb. For me, I picture small balls of peanut butter and chocolate that my mother used to make at Christmas time. They were amazingly delicious, but FULL of sugar, and caused a stomach ache after the second ball.
Fat bombs, on the other hand, are are small balls of heathy fat, and other ingredients, that you will eat as part of your keto diet. They act as little boost of energy throughout your day. Fat bombs will be high in heathy fat and low in carbohydrates. Unlike my mother’s Christmas treats, these indulgences are a healthy and necessary part of your Keto Diet.
The best way understand a keto fat bomb, is that it is the Keto version of an energy bar, but instead of glucose or carbs, these “energy balls” are high in Healthy Fat.
Keto Fat Bombs can be both savory or sweet. There are many recipes available to you, but once you get the basics down, you will be able to make a variety of fat bombs in a short amount of time.
WHEN WILL I EAT A KETO FAT BOMB?
Keto fat bombs are an essential part of your daily keto diet. Once you obtain ketosis, and have trained your body to burn healthy fats as energy, these small balls of energy will give you a boost and see you feeling full throughout the day!
REASONS YOU WILL EAT KETO FAT BOMBS:
- Pre/Post Workout
- A mid-day Snack
- To fulfill your daily caloric intake
- An energy boost
- A Quick Breakfast
- A Side Dish
KETO FATS BOMBS: THE BASICS
One thing you won’t be while on the Keto Diet, is hungry. Since you will be eating food that is packed with healthy fat, you will find yourself filling up easily. For that reason, Keto Fat Bombs are made in small, bite-sized portions. Though they are delicious, it is difficult to eat too much of each fat bomb, as these savory little balls are packed full of healthy fats and filling ingredients.
When making a Keto Fat Bomb, you will need three main ingredients:
Once you have your basics, you can make any number of healthy and delicious Keto Fat Bombs. Experiment with the basics, and the provided recipes, to keep your palette satisfied daily.
KETO FAT BOMBS: HEALTHY FATS
The key to the keto diet is that you will be eating HEALTHY fats. Once you have achieved ketosis, these healthy fats will be burned into energy.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTHY FATS FOR YOUR KETO FAT BOMB?
- Cacao Butter
- Coconut Butter
- Coconut Oil
- MCT Oil
- Almond Butter
- Coconut Milk
- Coconut Cream
- This is the solid part of the refrigerated can of coconut milk
- Ghee is expensive to buy, but can be made very simply at home. Very simply, ghee is clarified, unsalted butter. Even those with an intolerance to butter can handle ghee. This form of butter is intensified, as it is full of flavor and packed with nutrients. See the Easy Ghee recipe included at the end of this post.
- Preferably unsalted, organic, grass fed
- If you are sensitive to dairy products, use another option
- Bacon Fat
- Avocado Oil
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Coconut cream
As you can see, you have many options to make both sweet and savory keto fat bombs.
Side note: Using healthy fats high in MCT Oil will help you achieve the best results. Many Keto Dieters will start their day with MCT enriched Coffee to boost their metabolism. MCT Oil has many benefits, both physical and mental.
KETO FAT BOMBS: FLAVORING
You have many options for flavoring your keto fat bombs. There are all sorts of studies regarding the best sugar substitutes. Your best bet is to stick with naturally occurring sweeteners, since these don’t cause blood sugar or insulin spikes. You can choose the sugar substitute of your choice, but always check the ingredients first. You will want to look for pure sweeteners, and stay away from fillers like maltodextrin, dextrose, polydextrose, etc. These fillers not only cause spikes in blood sugars, but add carbs to your sweetener. The two sugar substitutes that best fit these qualifications are stevia and erythritol, both in liquid form.
FLAVORING OPTIONS FOR YOUR KETO FAT BOMBS:
- Stevia — Liquid Form
- Sugar-free Vanilla Extract
- 100% Dark Chocolate
- Cacao Powder
- Peppermint Extract
- Low-carb maple syrup
- Berries (like blackberries or blueberries)
- Chopped cooked meat (like salami, salmon, or steak)
- Lemon juice
KETO FAT BOMBS: TEXTURE
When on the keto diet, you have to be careful about your intake of nuts and seeds. Some nuts and seeds are high in carbohydrates, so obviously they need to be avoided. The being said, you will want to choice heathy its and seeds to add texture to your Keto Fat Bombs.
TEXTURE OPTIONS FOR YOUR KETO FAT BOMBS:
- Cacao Nibs
- Chia Seeds
- Bacon Bits
- Be sure to choose Sugar-Free if you are not making your own
- Shredded Coconut Chopped cooked meat (like salami, salmon, or steak)
- Chopped herbs
- Low-carb vegetables (like scallions or onions)
- Low-carb fruits (like wild blueberries or tomatoes)
KETO FAT BOMBS: IN 3 EASY STEPS!
Now that you understand the basics of Keto Fat Bombs, you are ready to make them! If you food prep, you will want to make a variety to store in your refrigerator for the next week. Always store your fat bombs in the refrigerator., since most of the fats contained in the Keto Fat Bombs ill be liquid at room temperatures. Stored in an airtight container, your fat bombs should last 1-2 weeks. If you would like them to last longer, you can always freeze them, but you will need to thaw them before eating. You will want to invest in a muffin pan with a liner, to keep from getting messy while baking. Since these are small bites, a mini-muffin pan is the best investment.
Mix your chosen ingredients in a large mixing bowl, or a food processor. If you are using a solid healthy fat, such as coconut oil, melt slightly in a microwave or stove.
Pour your mixture into your lined muffin pan, or lined baking pan, or form into small balls.
Refrigerate or freeze for several hours until the mixture is solid. If you used a baking pan, cut your bombs into slices for easy consumption.
QUICK AND EASY KETO FAT BOMB RECIPES
You know the steps, and you’re ready to start making and eating your Keto Fat Bombs. Don’t feel quite comfortable throwing them together? Here are 5 Easy Keto Fat Bomb Recipes to get you started.
BACON AND GUACAMOLE FAT BOMB
Makes: 6 KETO FAT BOMBS
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 Large Avocado
- 1/4 cup of ghee, softened to room temperature
- You can substitute butter of preferred
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 small chopped chili pepper
- You can Substitute crushed red pepper flakes to taste, but you lose the texture
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- black or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 4 slices of large bacon
- You can substitute sugar free bacon bits, but you will need bacon grease.
- Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees. Place the strips of bacon on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Be sure that the bacon does not overlap.
- Once heated, place the bacon in in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, You will need to check the bacon, as the cooking times depends on the thickness of the bacon slices.
- When done, remove and set aside to cool.
- Half the avocado and deseed, Place the avocado, ghee/butter, chili pepper, crushed garlic, cilantro and lime juice into a bowl, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mash using a potato masher, food processor, or fork until well combined. Add the diced onion and mix well.
- Pour in the bacon fat from the tray where you cooked the bacon. Mix well.
- Cover in foil and place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Crumble the bacon into a separate bowl.
- Remove the guacamole from the fridge, and use an ice cream scoop or spoon to create 6 balls.
- Roll each ball in the bacon crumbles, and place on a tray,
- Place your balls in the refrigerator.
Nutrition: Calories: 156 kcalFat: 15.2g, Protein: 3.4g, Carbs: 2.7g
KETO CREAM CHEESE TRUFFLES
Makes: 24 Cream Cheese Truffles
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened, divided
- 4 tbsp swerve confectioners
- ¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 24 paper candy cups for serving
- In a large bowl add the cream cheese, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, Swerve, Stevia, Rum extract, instant coffee, water, and heavy whipping cream.
- Use an electric hand mixer to whip all of the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for half an hour to chill.
- Spread the remaining 1/4 cup cocoa powder out. Roll heaping tablespoons in the palm of your hand to form balls. Roll the balls around in the cocoa powder. You will end up with about 24 total.
- Optional: Place them individually in small paper candy cups.
- Chill for an hour before serving.
Nutrition: Calories: 72.71 kcal Fat: 6.97g, Protein: 1.23, Carbs: 1.67g
CHOCOLATE ALMOND KETO FAT BOMB
Makes 10-15 Balls
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- Stevia, or sweetener of choice, to taste
- 10-15 whole almonds
- Melt the almond butter and coconut oil in a saucepan. Add in the cacao powder, coconut flour, and stevia, and mix well.
- Let the mixture cool and then form 10-15 ping-pong sized balls from the mixture.
- Stick an almond into the middle of each.
- Refrigerate to set and store in fridge until you’re ready to eat them.
Nutrition: Calories: 260 kcal Fat: 26g, Protein: 4g, Carbs: 6g
BACON EGG KETO FAT BOMB
Makes: 6 balls
•2 large eggs
•4 slices bacon
•4 tbsp butter
•2 tbsp Mayonnaise
•salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- On a baking sheet lined with baking paper, place the bacon strips. Lay the bacon strips out flat, leave space so they don’t overlap. Bake around 10-15 minutes until they are cooked and turned brown. Remove bacon and reserve the bacon grease. Let the bacon cool down and chop into small pieces. Reserve the remaining fat from the tray. You will use it later for the fat bombs.
- For the Bacon Egg Fat Bombs: Boil the eggs and remove the shell. Shred the eggs and mix with butter, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and a half bacon fat (bake tray residue). Chill in refrigerator for half an hour.
- When the mixture is firm, remove from the fridge and form separate spheres using a teaspoon and your hands. You should make 6 egg balls.
- Crumble bacon, and place flat plate. Roll the spheres until all sides of the spheres are well covered with bacon bits.
Nutrition: Calories: 190 kcal Fat: 18g, Protein: 6.9g, Carbs: 0.3g
COCONUT FAT BOMBS
•1 can Coconut Milk
•3/4 cup coconut oil
•1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
•20 drops Liquid Stevia
- Add coconut oil to a large mixing bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds to melt.
- Add stevia and coconut milk to the warm coconut oil. Mix to combine.
- Lastly, add coconut flakes and mix.
- Pour into lined mini muffin pan and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Store in the freezer and Enjoy!
Nutrition: Calories: 89.1 kcal Fat: 9.7g, Protein: 9.7g, Carbs: 0.87g
EASY GHEE RECIPE
- 16 Ounces (1 pound) of unsalted, organic, grass fed butter
- A Medium Sized Saucepan
- A Fine Wire Mesh Strainer
- A Cheesecloth (Can be purchased at any store with a home good section. They are as inexpensive as $1 at a retailer such as Walmart)
- A Spoon
- A 16-ounce (or larger) measuring cup
- A jar for storage
- Cut the butter into cubes and place into the saucepan. Smaller cubes will melt faster.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes. This time will vary based on your stove. During this cooking time, you will see the butter go through several stages, First, it will foam, then bubble. Then, it will seem to almost stop bubbling and start to foam again. When the second foam happens, your ghee is done! The butter should be a bright gold color and there should be reddish brown pieces of milk solids at the bottom of the pan.
- Let your ghee cool for 2-3 minutes. As it is cooling, line the wire mesh strainer with several layers of cheesecloth. Slowly pour the slightly cooled ghee through the wire mesh strainer. Discard the milk protein caught in the cheesecloth.
- Store the ghee at room temperature, but it can also be stored in the fridge. It will last up to a month at room temperature, and even longer in the fridge.
- Don’t forget that your ghee is much more flavorful than butter, so use sparingly.