I started the keto diet recently, and immediately ran into the problem of cooking. I am super busy with work, and rarely ever cooked my meals. My best dish is take-out! Now I’m having trouble eating the right foods and finding the time to cook or prepare breakfast lunch and dinner very day. It’s seriously time consuming. Do you have any tips? Or foods I can grab on the go?
The ketogenic diet definitely requires extra time to prepare meals. Gone are the days of popping into any restaurant or drive through for a quick meal. Here are a few tips to save some time:
- Make More than you Need – If you are going to cook, make extra of each meal. This will come in handy on the days that you don’t quite have the time. If it might spoil before you eat it, freeze it instead of just refrigerating.
- Get Some Kitchen Hacks – Investing in some new, time-saving machines for your kitchen will cut time off of your daily meal prep.
- Plan your Week in Advance – Knowing what you will be making, and when you will be making it, will cut out the time needed to make those daily decisions. Sit down on a weekend (or day that you have some time) and plan your next week. Then shop for all of your ingredients at once, instead of numerous trips to the grocery store.
- Meal Prep – On that same note, many keto dieters will cook their meals for the week in one sitting. Once cooked, you can use containers or resealable freezer safe plastic bags to freeze. This means that you only have to devote time to heating later in the week. If you prefer your meals fresh, spend some time prepping your meals by taking care of any chopping, portioning, pouring and measuring, Having the ingredients measured, prepped, and ready to go will make the actual cooking a breeze.
- Find Keto Friendly Spots/Dishes in your Area – My favorite coffee shop serves a “kevlar coffee.” When I asked what this was, they told me it is “like Bulletproof Coffee without the copyright infringement.” This quickly made my list of top breakfast spots for on the go. Check out menus for your favorite spots to see if they have keto friendly options. Once you start searching, you will be surprised by how many options you find!