I’ve been on this diet for a month now, but I can’t seem to get….er… regular. Is anyone else experiencing this? What should I do to fix this?
It’s no fun to talk about, but constipation is a common side effect of the keto diet. I included a link to a post on the subject. Nuts, grains, and dairy products are notoriously hard to digest. Here are a few tips to get more regular:
- Eat more fat — Stick to easily digestible options.
- Drink Plenty of Water — I could go on for hours about the benefits of drinking enough water. Studies differ on the amount you should drink, but start around 9 glasses. You if you get thirsty throughout the day, you are already dehydrated. Dehydration will hurt your digestion process.
- Take Magnesium Supplements– This is recommended from day -5. Taking magnesium helps with your cramps and keto flu symptoms, as well as your digestion and regularity.
- Cut out nuts — It stinks to cut out this easy snack, but it may make a big difference in your digestion. Try cutting them out as they are hard to digest.
- Try coffee — This is a natural laxative, and should help your digestion.
- Eat more fruit — By fruit, I mean any vegetable that has seeds. These are technically fruits. Fruits are easy for your body to digest. e careful of the carb content, and don’t splurge.